Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 10 year old Maytag Side-by-Side model #MZD2752GRW.

I have a 10 year old Maytag Side-by-Side model #MZD2752GRW. The fridge section wasn't cooling well and the freezer quit making ice. A repairman came and assessed the problem as a bad defrost timer which he replaced. The refrigerator/freezer worked fine for about five days and then began having the same original problem- No ice making and warm refrigerator. Repairman came back and said there was a loose wire that he did not tighten enough on the initial visit. He fixed the wire and the refrigerator/freezer worked well for about 5-6 days, and then it repeated the same symptoms as before. The repairman comes back tomorrow and I want to make sure he correctly repairs the fridge. What else could be the problem? It is obvious that the freezer is not defrosting which is causing the problems.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are 100% correct, you still have a defrost problem. Now I've had those defrost controls come faulty so I wouldn't be surprised if the part came faulty from the factory, but there are 2 other options. You could have a bad defrost thermostat or a bad defrost heat. You'd need to pull the lower back panel off inside the freezer and check continuity through the heater and the defrost thermostat while it's still frosted. If either one doesn't have continuity, then you need to replace that part. If both parts have continuity, then warranty out the defrost control and replace the defrost control.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.