Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi I have a Maytag dryer model MDG8506AWW. It started making

Hi I have a Maytag dryer model MDG8506AWW. It started making a sreeching noise but still works fine. I need to know how toopen unit and what to look for first. Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So just for reference, the idler pulley wheel next to the motor is usually the part that creates this noise and the wheel will need to be replaced if you remove it and see orange rust inside the bearing. That being said, to get inside the dryer, just unplug the unit first. Open the door and remove the 2 screws through the door hinge going into the front panel. Remove these screws and then remove the screws going in through the opposite side of the door way. The front panel will now unclip at the top and hinge forward and down. Now you can remove the screws on the right and left side holding the front drum support on and the front drum support will pull off. Make sure you understand how the belt is routed below the drum because it's not intuitive. Then disconnect the belt below the drum and pull the drum out.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi I did what u told me and didn't see no rust so what I did I lube it up with silicone spray and then put everything back together. I turned on and noise is gone. Thank you for your assistance

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Awesome, glad you have the problem all solved now!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.