Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi! I have a a General Electric double oven model number JKP38G0J3BG.

Hi! I have a a General Electric double oven model number JKP38G0J3BG. I believe it was probably purchased and installed in the 1960s when the kitchen was remodeled by the previous owners of our home.

Last week, the clock stopped working. I was still able to use the oven. Then, four days later, the oven wouldn't turn on. Neither the upper nor lower oven will work.

Do you think this is fixable? And if so, how?

-Josie
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So, it sounds like your clock has just failed and that will also stop the oven from heating unfortunately. The clock is part number WB19X5280 and is no longer made, but there was a substitution with a digital display made at one point, yet I'm also not sure if that is made any longer either since this unit is getting quite old right now. You'll want to contact Searspartsdirect.com by phone and see if they have something that will work for you to replace on this unit. They do have a substitution part number of RFR-CCS, but again I'm not sure if that is still made because it says to call. Their number is XXXXX

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi! So I called Sears, and I'm wondering what you think about all this from an appliance stand point. They will charge me $95 to come out and "pull the board" and then another $150 to repair it. Do you think this happened to the oven because of age? And if so, how long do you think a repair would last? Or given the situation, am I better off investing in a new oven?

Thanks!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 9 months ago.
I think that's actually a fair price to do all the work for you. It is getting to be quite an old oven, so if you have the extra money to replace the oven and you can find one that fits the space, I probably would go that route. The problem that most people run into is that these older ovens aren't quite the same size as most of the newer ones so the cabinets would need to be worked on. If you wanted to avoid all that hassle, I'd have the board refurbished for about $250 and it'll save a lot of headache.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.