Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I brought a house with a whirlpool gas dryer, bur no power

I brought a house with a whirlpool gas dryer, bur no power is getting to it I tested the plug and I have a live outlet. When we open the door the light doesn't even come on.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

May I please get a model number so i can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker just inside the doorway.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry but the house is 150 miles away but the house was build in1997 and has not been lived in not five years

OK so then can you describe the unit a bit? How old is it? Are the controls on the control panel knobs or push button?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the start button is a push, the select is a dial

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The start button is a push

OK so there are really only 3 things that can cause this issue on these more basic models. Either you are just not getting power, the door switch has failed, or your fuse has failed. Run an extension cord to another outlet you know is working or plug a lamp into the current outlet to be certain that you're getting power power and neutral. If that checks good, then you're down to the door switch or the fuse. Open the door and push on the door switch to see if it still clicks. If it still clicks when you push it and when you shut the door, then the switch is good. The fuse can be located in 2 spots depending on the age of the appliance, but most commonly it's on the back above the vent exhaust. Below is a video that shows you how to access and test the fuse.

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
I'm just following up to see how your appliance is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?