Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

House built 1990. Original Jenn-Air M166 Microwave Built-in

House built 1990. Original Jenn-Air M166 Microwave Built-in over Jenn-air oven. Between dark and dawn microwave's power went out.. No lights on microwave control panel. Regular baking oven works. All house master breakers are set. All kitchen GFIs are set. Instruction manual does not have circuit diagram.

I removed mounting décor but can not find fuse or power plug. Can I slide microwave out (by removing lower mounting screws) without removing the oven? What do I do now?

I am electrical equipment knowledgeable.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you are exactly right. You need to slide the oven out and there is a power cord that plugs directly into the oven in the back right or left corner behind the microwave. You need to unplug this and then plug the microwave into an outlet you know is working to see if it turns on. If it turns on, try to reset the outlet on the back of the oven and if it won't reset, replace the resettable outlet.

Now if the microwave still won't come on plugging it into a good outlet on your house, you need to remove the outer shell of the microwave. There is a 1" long fuse behind the control panel area and this part has likely failed. If the fuse has continuity and checks good, you'd need a new display board. Those would be all your options in a nut shell.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll be happy to rate your service but I must comply with your suggestions first. This might take a while.

OK good luck. Either way, all the options have been laid out so one of the possibilities will fix your problem. It's up to you to narrow down which of them is not your problem and which is. That is not something I can control