Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Fridge compressor will not turn on.

Fridge compressor will not turn on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is actually a very common problem for GE I'm afraid to say. Unfortunately the relay on the main control board shorts and stops sending power to the compressor. The thermostat is working because the fans are running, and the compressor isn't hot which means the compressor isn't overloading or you don't have a freon leak. Either way, the control board is located on the back of the refrigerator behind an 8" x 10" sheet metal panel. Below is a link to the control board you'd need to order for your model number.

CLICK HERE for control board

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I was afraid of that, expensive part, I'll go get one and let you know. Thanks, Standby.

Alright, sorry about the bad news, but it's definitely the only way to go to fix this problem. I wish there were an alternative. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok, new board seems to be working. Thanks. Also, FYI, one of the solder points on the back of the board opposite the relay labeled (comp) looks like it overloaded and burned out. I tested the trace line and there was no continuity to the lead. I hope this was caused by the relay failing and not something from the fridge. Anyways, my food and beer have been saved for now. Cheers

Aye, that's commonly what happens to the board. What happens is that the relay begins to spark internally and it shorts out the trace line on the back of the board so the solder joint eventually burns.