Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Kenmore 665-15812990 door leak. Water is splashing over pan

Kenmore 665-15812990 door leak. Water is splashing over pan edge due to current at left corner to left middle. All seals seem to function, cleaned float and filter. Water seems at right height when stopped. Please help.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is one thing that causes this problem quite often on your particular model. If you remove the lower wash arm, there is a plastic bearing that is shaped sort of like a ring with a lip on it. The lip wears down over time and either wears completely through or gets so thin that it doesn't seal up when the arm is washing anymore. That will cause the water to spray below the wash arm creating waves in the water pooling in the bottom. You will want to order and replace this bearing. Below is a link to the part.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there only one washer/bearing under the wash arm? I have the part shown, I think, but it split, has a 3/16th inch gap when installed. Seams not to be worn, but wash arm has about 1/8th inch vertical play which seem too much.

That split part is not a bearing. It's more of just a sleeve/washer. The part I'm talking about is completely different. The 1/8" of play is 100% normal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay guess I need to order the part. Surprised I see no sign of it in washer basin. Is their a way to contact you if problem is not resolved?

Yes of course. You can always post back. There is an Email sent to you with a link to come post back after you rate me in case you need follow-up service. It is odd to not be there, but part 13 in the diagram below is the part in question.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have both parts upper bearing and lower bushing. The upper bearing is thin on the flat washer surface, 1/16th or less compared to the rest of the part at about 1/8th. Top surface shows some wear where it touches the hold down screw part. Does this seem like the probable cause still?

Aye, it sounds like the upper bearing is just getting thin and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again, I got the replacement bearings top and bottom. The waves persist to cause major leaking. What else can we try? Is it possible the water level is too high?

Hmm, it's possible that the water is too high, but the float switch should stop the water if it's too high. If it's filling up past the point where the float clicks, then you may have a sticking float or bad switch. But really the only other thing would be to replace the wash arm if the seam on the wash arm is cracked and water sprays out the arm, or make sure the dishwasher isn't tilted forward at all.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the float control the fill level or only act as a safety stop?

The Unit has not been moved or adjusted since install. Should still be level, is checking the door for vertical the best test?

Checking the door for level is usually an accurate test as far as the float switch goes it is a safety device that stops the tub from overflowing. However, it may also serve as the cutoff to your fill cycle if you have high water pressure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The front is high, tilted back by almost 1/2 the bubble. I have carefully inspected wash arm and cannot see any flaw or damage. Any other ideas?

Aside from just replacing the door gasket, there really isn't any other thing that can cause the leak.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The leak is due to waves overflowing the front lip of the pan, waves slosh over. The door seal does not seem involved, possibly the seal up 1/2 inch on left side but 90% of the leak is more in the center

I'm not sure what to say if the bearing is new and nothing is wrong with the wash arm. You may want to just turn the water valve down under your sink to make sure it fills up with a bit less water than it is now.