Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My GE microwave wont heat. When the start button is pressed,

My GE microwave won't heat. When the start button is pressed, countdown occurs, but there is no light, no sound, no heat. This is true of "time cook" as well as regular heating. (The clock works.)
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if you don't even hear the microwave trying to run and it's silent but the display is still counting down--your microwave thinks that one of your 3 door switches has failed. You'll need to uninstall the entire microwave and remove all the screws going into the sides and back of the outer shell. The outer shell will then pull straight back, up, and off. Then you can access the door switches from the right side of the microwave. Now below is a video that shows you how to test the door switches so you can determine which one has failed, but access is completely different than what I just told you because it's an over-the-range microwave in the video. Just ignore the access and testing the switches is really the only part of the video you would need to pay attention to. Replace the faulty door switch and you should be good to go again.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You seem to know what is needed. I am going to have to wait at least to tomorrow get someone to uninstall the microwave for me (I'm an old fellow with jittery hands and no sense of electronics.) But with optimism and faith in your advice, I'm giving you an "excellent" and authorizing payment for tour advice. Have a good day, and thanks.
OK that sounds great. Rating me does not close the question out so by all means, if you have follow-up questions tomorrow just let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to let you know, the cost of having the local GE repair shop fix the door switch was so high that getting a new microwave was the better answer. However that wasn't your fault, your advice was correct, and I'm giving you excellent rating.

ick, I'm really sorry to hear that. The cost shouldn't been more than $130 at most, but some places are just more expensive than others. Either way, I do wish you the best.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And that's just what the microwave we replaced it with cost! (:-(>

Anyway, Tyler, I also wish you the best. Bye.

Alright, have a great rest of the week!