Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

GE refrigerator runs constantly and does not shut off. Food

GE refrigerator runs constantly and does not shut off. Food in freezer is frozen and items in refrigerator are cold.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Do you have a model number ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Bryan-No I don't. I bought it used a few years ago. It is at least 10 years old.

It is a 2 door, freezer on top, unit.

okay look on the side wall or the ceiling inside the fresh food section, theres a tag. also open the freezer and look at the back wall , is there frost on it ? look real good behind your food.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, frost on the sides and back of the freezer

alright, well whats going on is this has one of two problems. if you have ice and water in the door check and make sure the flap in the chute is closing tightly. if it is you have a defrost issue. you need to empty the freezer and remove the back panel and defrost it with a hair dryer. when theres a defrost issue the refrigerator will run and run trying to keep the correct temp. if you can get me a model number I can tell you what part is most likely the cause.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have water/ice on this refrigerator. I will defrost today and see if it helps. Should the model # XXXXX somewhere on the inside or outside of the unit? The rear of the unit is all metal/aluminum except at the very bottom.

look on the side wall or the ceiling inside the fresh food section, theres a tag, the panel you need to remove is inside the freezer behind the food not outside in the back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Found the tag on the inside of the freezer door. Model # XXXXX XXXXX

Okay perfect. there are a few things you need to check. 1 is the fan next to the compressor in the back running ? 2 is the one in the freezer running ? You check them and let me know. I'm looking at some causes for you issue while you check them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both fans are running

okay the issue with these refrigerators that is most common is the defrost thermostat. Defrost Thermostat WR50X45 Main Product View once you get this defrosted you will see this clipped to the top of the coils, I would defrost the coils and then put it back together and order the part, theres a link below, when the part comes in replace it. the refrigerator will run correctly for about 2 weeks before it frosts up again. plenty of time to get the part and replace it. heres the link. defrost thermostat its around $17.00
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Bryan:

I am defrosting the freezer. However, there isn't a single panel to remove in the back of it. There is one plastic cover in the bottom center of the unit, which I assume is the fan. There is another plastic cover that is on the left rear of the freezer than runs from the bottom to the top and is about 2 inches wide/deep

I cant find diagrams for this unit sorry. I guess whatever panel is in the freezer you can remove is the one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. Thanks

your very welcome. have a great Sunday ! thanks, Bryan