Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a dehumidifier (Roper) that is just a few years old

I have a dehumidifier (Roper) that is just a few years old and have just noticed that it is running but no water is in the bucket. It sounds like it is working, but no dehumidife. Could it be that the unit is done for. Could it be that it needs to be cleaned? Nothing in the owners manual says how to clean, Iam pretty handy,so maybe that is what it needs.

Thank You

Dennis Mellender
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Take a look with a flashlight up through the vent in the front over the bucket. Can you see frost on those coils?

If not go around to the other side, is that fan blowing warm air out?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No frost on the coils,fan seems to be blowing air out the back ok with out any trouble.The front grille feels like a soft breeze is being drawn in the front. The unit has been un pluged for about 2 days. May be it is time to buy a new one. I really do not want to put a lot of money into the unit. I just it could be a quick fix? Maybe not Thank You XXXXX

It may be, if you feel like taking some time Dennis unplug it, take the covers off then turn it on, you will have to make the control safe. Then take a broom handle or a long tool and touch the compressor on the top. If that compressor comes on and is operating its done.

The controls are working but the compressor has a few minor parts 2 that are replaceable. But that is how to judge, if its operating and those front coils are not getting damp or frosty its time for a new one.

Please ask if you have questions, if not please leave a rating for me.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry I went downstairs and plugged it in. It has been running, but still no water in the bucket. I will try what you have said to do,but that will have to wait until sunday. Sounds like its time for a new one, but will what you have said to try with the broom handle. Thank You XXXXX

You are very welcome Dennis, thank you for the opportunity. If you need me you can post back here tomorrow.

Barry