Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a single Kitchen Aid electric built-in oven (Manufactured

We have a single Kitchen Aid electric built-in oven (Manufactured in 1996) Model: KEBI101D. Power outages, surges and low voltages are common in our area. The oven digital display has not reported any function errors but it takes the oven 30 minutes to climb to 350 degrees and it issues a audible tone when it gets up to the minimum registered temperature (170 degrees) rather than at the usual 350 degrees. Both elements are working. I assume that it is possible to do a "reset or reboot" but don't know that sequence. Is that possible? Cliff
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There is definitely no reboot that you can do to fix the issue aside from trying to turn the circuit breaker off and back on. But that being said, how do you know both elements are working?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, visually with the upper element and with the lower (which is below the inner lining of the oven) I turn the oven on for all of about 10 seconds, then feel the metal over the lower element... yes, it is hot! So that is my diagnosis!

OK so the elements should glow when they heat if they are definitely getting 240 volts, so you'll want to make sure that the element is actually glowing. If so, then the element is definitely good which means that you're down to either a bad control board, a bad thermostat, or the oven is in Celsius instead of ºF.

First try to switch to ºF by just pressing and holding the broil button for 5 seconds. If that doesn't switch it to ºF and you still have problems, you're down to the control board or the sensor. You can't test the board but you can test the sensor. Open the door and remove the 3-4" long thin metal rod attached to the back wall. There are 2 screws holding the sensor on that you can remove and then pull the sensor forward until you can disconnect it. With a multimeter, check the resistance of the sensor at room temperature and it should be about 1080 ohms. If it's not, replace the sensor, otherwise you need to replace your relay board.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!