Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

MAV5000AWW - Washer will drain but not spin. The drum does

MAV5000AWW - Washer will drain but not spin. The drum does not turn freely.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the belt on this washer is actually on the bottom of the washer underneath. To check, tip the washer backwards and you can access the belt.

Now as for your problem, the belt is not going to be the problem if the washer still drains fine because there is only one belt so if the washer is draining, the belt is moving around properly. Unfortunately that means you have a problem with either the thrust bearing or your transmission. This is your center pulley under the tub. Remove the belt and turn the pulley both directions. If you feel grinding going either direction (one direction will require a lot more force to move than the other, but it should still be smooth) then you need to replace the thrust bearing kit which is part number 12002213 and it comes with that large pulley as well as all the washers and bearings above the pulley once you remove the pulley. If everything is smooth but the inner basket just won't spin, your transmission is beginning to fail and the transmission would need to be replaced. There is a friction gear inside the transmission that often begins to slip inside this transmission causing slow spin speeds or no spinning at all if it gets bad enough. If you end up needing a new transmission, it's probably not worth repairing, but that's completely up to you. The cost to have someone replace the transmission would be about $350 or so and it does require specialty tools so it's not something you could do yourself.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!