Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My amana washer stopped working partway through a wash. It

Customer Question

My amana washer stopped working partway through a wash. It was beeping until I went and turned it off. The power will come on and the drum will turn once and then it shuts off.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Do you have a full model number ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tandem 7300
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay that model number isn't coming up. its most likely inside the door , is this locked ? did this drain before it stopped ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it...
NFW7300WW00
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay perfect, I gather this is still full of water correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay first you need to try unplugging the washer for 3 minutes and plug it back in, see if the control will come on and select spin / drain. see if it starts and drains. let me know, if not you may need to clean the drain pump trap. let me know first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did all that and she just makes a little clicking sound.....nothing happened
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , on the bottom front theres an access panel . number 5 on this diagram. remove the panel. then you need to reach up inside where the door closes and pull the ring at the bottom of the lock assembly and get the door open. Door or Lid Latch Assembly W10253483       Main Product View once open take you clothes out and bail as much water out as you can. when thats done you need to tip the machine back and get a large towel, open the drain pump trap slowly and clean the trap. once thats clear put the trap back in put the machine back down and try the machine in drain. see if it runs through the rest of the drain cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door opens
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay can you do the rest and get the water out then ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this drain pump trap up under the washer or on the back? Do I have to tip her right down on on end?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
remove the panel I showed you in the diagram and it will be right there. like I said though be careful there will be water, get a few towels and just open it a little at a time until water stops coming out then you can remove the trap (it pulls out) and clean it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ummm, I don't know how to get that panel off! Do I need tools?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes you need either a screw driver or nut driver (depending on what kind of screws you have) and take the screws out of the bottom of the panel. they are hard to see ,tip the machine back if you have to so you can get to them. graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and now she's running, but it seems she skipped the stage of taking in water! I tried different settings and the same thing happens.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay so it drained and spun and went to the end of the cycle and shut off ? Have you tried a new cycle and no water comes in ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it didn't really finish a cycle, it just went to wash, where it turned and turned. I tried starting a new cycle but still no water.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay I see. It gets a little tougher from here. do you have a volt meter ? Make sure the water is turned on fully on both the hot and cold. let me know if you have a volt meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it's stopped and beeping the way it did when it first stopped working.
I have no idea what a volt meter is or where to find it!
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

A volt meter is a multimeter, A tester tool. anyway your issue is its not getting water which will stop the machine , the first thing to do is shut the water off and remove the hoses, check the screens in the hoses and clean as needed, also check and see if the valve screens are clear. , if they are and the hoses are replace the valve. heres a link to order it , Valve to replace it remove the top of the machine, (there are screws along the back) its fairly easy to do and the valve is around $42.00.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess my job is done.....it's getting too complicated for me....now I have to wait til my husband comes home!
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay, I will be around this afternoon if he wants to go over things with me, thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I have to pay again?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
no, once you rate me the question stays open and you can come back and ask all the questions you need to at no additional charge. so no worries. I do have to go out but will be back around 2pm EST. thanks and talk then , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the washer again....this time she took in water and washed.....I thought my problems were over!.......she washed for a while (I'm guessing the regular amount of time) then stopped without rinsing or draining....just started beeping again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay let me know when your husbands there and we can do some checking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Are you ready now or okay when you husband gets home ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok when my husband gets home.....that should be very soon!
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband is here now.....what's the next step?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay start the machine and see if it fills. see if the door locks and the door lock light is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Door lock light is on. Door is locked. She turned once and stopped. Door is still locked.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay she turned once then stopped and did it add water ? You did clean the pump trap like I told you before correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No . The water that is in her is from when she filled up earlier. I did clan the pump trap. Was I supposed to take more apart than just the cover?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you needed to actually unscrew that cap and pull it all the way out number 15 is the trap (filter)

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
watch out for water again. get towels ready.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that. A whole lot of water came out and some dirt. I cleaned it out.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay but when you put it on drain it wont ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay sorry for some reason the site is running real slow.I need you to do the filter again then unplug the machine and start form the beginning of a cycle. when it stops and the lights blink tell me which lights and how many times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. He took the filter off and drained the water, cleaned it and put it back. We started her up and now she's washing. Today when I said she wasn't taking in water it was b/c my husband it turned the Taos off! So she's getting water fine. So she's on the wash cycle now. We're going to keep watch to see what happens when she stops. We'll let you know.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
OH ! Okay perfect hopefully its fine ! let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now she's spinning and draining...it still says she's on the wash cycle....hopefully she works fine....will let you know.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
that's great news ! fingers crossed. well wishes, thanks. Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ran full wash cycle! Now hoping for the same with the next load.
When he took the filter out he also disconnected filter from the little motor and found some dirt and a piece of wood in where the fan is....put it back together and now it worked fine. Yay

Thanks so much for your help! Now back to my pile of laundry!
Have a great evening.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your so very welcome. If you ever need me you can request me at the link at the bottom , Have a great rest of your weekend, and by the way Good Job ! thanks, Bryan