Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a roper washing machine model #rtw4400 that will not

I have a roper washing machine model #rtw4400 that will not agitate. I have been through all of the usual things to correct the problem. Such as replacing the dogs in the agitator, installed a rebuild kit in the agitator, the motor is fine, the motor coupling has been replaced, the clutch has been replaced, and the agitatot spins the clothes fine but will not agitate to eash. If i raise the lid a little to peak inside I can see the afitator wiggling like it's trying ti move but it does not. If I manually try to turn it while empty or with clothes in it, it turns one way but not the other like it's supposed to. any ideas?

thanks L.Klein
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if you watch the agitator when it's washing, does the bottom of the agitator move at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure, but I don't believe it does. I can'y really see it because I haven't tried by passing the lid switch.

OK so you will need to try and figure out if the bottom is moving or not. If the bottom is moving still, you need to replace the agitator dogs which is only a $5 part and the part number is XXXXX Below is a video that shows you how to replace the part.

CLICK HERE for agitator dogs

Now if the bottom isn't moving when it should be washing, then you need a new transmission and that is quite an expensive part to replace as I'm sure you can imagine.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, I'm not sure about the bottom moving or not, but the dogs have been replaced twice with no improvement. If the transmission is bad, will the machine still spin ? All other steps work fine except the agitation.

Alright so if the dogs have been replaced twice, then you definitely have a bad transmission I'm afraid. The transmission has gears to spin the basket and gears to agitate the agitator. It's similar to a car when reverse goes out but all the gears going forward still work. That being said, yes the transmission will fail in a way that affects only the agitation and not the spin cycle.