Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Good morning Tyler, I have a Maytag bravos 550 washer thats

Customer Question

Good morning Tyler, I have a Maytag bravos 550 washer that's not working properly. originally I thought it was the lid lock mechanism so I replaced it. Now, it tries to start a cycle, starts to balance then quits and the lid lock light blinks. help.

Thanks,
Robert
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator. There is an actuator motor below the tub that switches the shifter next to the motor. To access this part, you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator.

Now, if you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics.  Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated.  Push START. The status lights will flash on and off.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs.

Fault/error codes are displayed by alternating the state of the Status LEDs in one-second intervals. All fault/error codes have an F# XXXXX an E#. The F# XXXXX “Type of Fault” and the E# XXXXX “Component system where fault is located.”

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try the diagnostic sequence first.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Couldn't get the diagnostic sequence to tell me anything, so I replaced the actuator motor today, it's still not working.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, you'd really need to be able to pull up the diagnostics code. You can remove the control panel and the instruction sheet might explain it slightly differently than I have, but it's the same process. To get inside the control panel you need a putty knife. There are 2 hidden metal spring clips under the right and left end cap on the control panel. Slide the putty knife under the control panel on the right and left side and push back on the hidden spring clips. Now push back on the clips and the control panel will pull up and hinge backwards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No instruction sheet inside. On this machine the start button has the pause and unlock and the power button has the cancel, do I push both buttons? I've tried it both was and it's not working.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not sure why your machine doesn't have an instruction sheet, but the process I gave you is definitely correct. If you can't pull up an error code and it's not the common actuator, then you really need to call a technician out so he can pull up the error code.

As far as getting the unit into standby mode, you should just be able to press and hold the control cancel button. The point of standby is that all lights are off before you try to get into diagnostics. If all the lights on the control panel are off, then it's in standby mode.