Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I own a maytag washer that is problably 20 yrs old. I have

I own a maytag washer that is problably 20 yrs old. I have serviced it myself once before and I know how to open the outer shell.
The back and forth motion of the agitator is slowing after a few minutes in operation. I stop the machine and wait a while then restart and it seems to start fine but then slows down again. The rinse and spin cycles seem to be fine. I there a belt that could be slipping or could it be the transmission? I put in a small load and it still doesn't have the force it once had. Thank you in advance. Michael
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So there are really only 2 things that would cause these symptoms. Either you have a bad belt, or the motor itself is beginning to slow down. You'll need to tip the washer backwards to expose the belts below. The thicker belt that goes to the center pulley is the one you'd need to replace. If you haven't replaced it in 20 years, then I'd start by replacing that. The other possibility would be the motor as I said which would be quite expensive as I'm sure you can understand. Below is a link to the belt you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Tyler, I wasn't sure about how to see the belt. I will have to rotate the washer after pulling it out because if the confined space after which I will check its condition.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem. The belts are really easy to access in most cases, you just tip the washer back a bit and you have complete access to the belts below the unit.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.