Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My whirlpool duet is leaking but only when it drains and nit

Customer Question

My whirlpool duet is leaking but only when it drains and nit around the drain. Appears to be in back of the concrete weight
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. do you have a model number so we can better assist you ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don,t see one on it. The door is closed Because i am running it. It just gave me the dreaded f21 code before it started to drain. I have checked the filter it is clear. But it was full when this started

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay the model number is XXXXX inside the door when you open it. on a tag.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wfw8400twoo. Had to manually unlock the door. Water is standing in the drum. It is not leaking yet but has not stared spinning yet! Yesterday it would let it spin and I could see water coming down the back side of the concrete weight. I now have a mirror to see it better but machine won't let me get that far

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay great. the F21 is a long drain error, you have the bottom panel off under the door correct ? if so theres a pump trap right there you need to clean. one thing to be aware of though is there is water in this so tip the machine back against the wall and remove the pump trap slowly. get a towel ready to catch water. clean the pump trap and try the machine again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have already done that it was clogged when the problem was first detected. I can see a small amount of water dripping down the base of the concrete weight in front of the drum when I look through the mirror. Could it be the rubber seal around the front of the door. Not leaking out the front of the machine or the front of the concrete but the back of it

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
These boots do leak, usually from a very small tear in it or hole. these are not cheap or by any means simple to replace. what I would do is remove the front of the machine and check the boot good before ordering one. they are $120.00 so you want to be sure.Door Boot Seal W10111435 Main Product View heres a video that shows a basic whirlpool duet boot change, video check it good before ordering.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do it check to see if that is the issue. Can't make it leak any faster by messing with the rubber ring. The pump is hot. It has not run tonight. I have had to drain it manually. There was plastic in the catch filter yesterday from something left in a pocket. Any chance something is caught in the blades of the pump
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

If there was something caught in the pump yesterday and you pulled it out there is still a chance theres something else in the blades yes for sure. I would remove the pump completely and take a look inside it. there may be something else there. if not its possible the pump has failed because there was something in it. I would get the pump issue straightened away then run the machine and find the leak. can you pour a little water in the front of the boot and see if any water drips? the bad thing about a leak there is its hard to see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you!
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'll be here tomorrow if you need me, have a great night and thank you, Bryan