Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

Dave, two probs. first, water not getting to upper spray

Dave,
two probs.
first, water not getting to upper spray arm.
second, screw dropped into bottom screen, so far I have taken off the lower spray arm and the next part with 8 star screws to expose round black piece with molded nut and a metal nut in the middle. have tried getting off, will not budge.
any help will be much appreciated
Dave Mann
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 11 months ago.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, let me take a look at the parts list. This was built by Whirlpool and I am familiar with the system. Just a sec...

Appliance Tech Dave :

Okay, here is a link to the parts list for the pump. #12 is the screw head you can't remove? It should be a hex head screw. Parts list

Appliance Tech Dave :

More often than not that screw twists off in the shaft of the motor and the entire pump/motor assembly must be replaced.

Customer:

ok, I still get water into lower sect and I didn't put enough pres. on nut to break it, how do I get the screw out

Appliance Tech Dave :

There is a tab bent over the nut sometimes you need to lift up and then it turns counter clockwise. You use the large plastic nut portion on the wash impeller to hold it while you turn the screw. About half the time it will break off. Where you getting enough water to come to the bottom of the overfill float when it fills?

Customer:

I have already done what you suggested, I found no tab, is there any way I can get the screw out

Customer:

when I say screw I am talking about a Phillips head screw that came out of the water spraying device mounted at the top inside of the d/w

Appliance Tech Dave :

The newer ones don't have the tab because the used thread lock and that is what makes it almost impossible to remove. #11 is the wash impeller that moves the water up to the spray arms. If nothing is clogged the next thing to look for before you break the screw is to be sure it gets enough water. That would be just up to the bottom of the float on the right front corner near the hinge.

Customer:

I will ck. the water level tomorrow, in the mean time, how do I retrieve the screw I mentioned in my prev. comment

Appliance Tech Dave :

Did that screw go down between the large pump top and the tank or into the pump?

Customer:

it went behind the screen to the base pump.

Customer:

base pump #25 on the parts diagram

Appliance Tech Dave :

That screw is stainless steel and some of them are not magnetic. If the torx screws you took out of the top are magnetic so will the one you dropped and a magnet might help if you can get to to screw. If not you can pull the pump. There are 4 retainers that twist out of the way #26 and also you must remove the check valve #15 and the drain hose. Then the pump come up into the tub and you can turn it upside down and the screw will come out. You will need to replace the tub gasket #16 or it will likely leak.

Customer:

ok, can I do this with d/w in place under the counter? by the way I live in Chat

Appliance Tech Dave :

Yes you can leave the DW in place and work from underneath. After all is removed and the retainers are pushed out of the way you just push it up from the bottom into the tank and pull it out.

Customer:

after I ck. the water level can I get back to you if needed?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Sure. I won't be on much longer tonight but I will be available again tomorrow. Best wishes to you Dave.

Customer:

Thanks

Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore