Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my kitchen aid side by side circulation fan in the top of the

my kitchen aid side by side circulation fan in the top of the freezer section is cycling constantly every two to five seconds. everything else is normal
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Are you saying that the fan is turning off and on every few minutes? And do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? THe model number should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no I did not say every few minutes. I said every 2 to 5 SECONDS. and I cannot locate a model number anywhere on the unit. it is a kitchen aid side by side with the ice and water on the outside of the freezer door. the fan in question is located in the top back of the freezer and blows air on the top of the ice maker and through a duct into the refrigerator side.
Is this a built-in refrigerator? You know, one of those really expensive larger than normal refrigerators built into the cabinets?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it is not built in . it has wheels. it is 36" wide, 27" deep and 72" high. it is about three years old.
OK perfect. So then the model number should definitely be near the ceiling of the refrigerator section. Either way if it's cutting out that common, you either have a bad control board cutting power to the fan, or the evaporator fan motor is starting to go bad. You'd need to remove the back panel to expose the fan motor. Then test power at the fan itself and you should have 120 volts while it's running. If the voltage keeps fluctuating, you'd need a new control board. Otherwise, you'd need to replace the fan motor.

Now that being said, you'd really need the model number to order the correct part for your unit. It might be on your manual, but unless it was removed, it would definitely be on the sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you have given me the direction I need. when the fan is running it sounds fine. I would suspect the board, but I can check that. there is a place on the top right wall of the refrigerator inside that shows evidence of where a sticker was, but not anymore. any other ideas on finding a model number. I don't have any paperwork.
That would be a big problem. I'm assuming you must have bought this scratch and dent, floor model, or something along those lines. The sticker is removed on these units when the manufacturer tells the company to scrap the unit for whatever reason (usually because it was returned due to being a lemon). These units shouldn't be sold, but sometimes the dealers will sell them anyways at a huge discount with no warranty. The real problem comes when you have parts that fail in the future because you need that model number to order any parts for the unit. The model wouldn't be anywhere else on the unit itself, but it might be on the instruction booklet or your receipt if you have either of those.