Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our CAFE microwave sometimes wont work (touch screen) after

Our CAFE microwave sometimes won't work (touch screen) after using the gas cooktop (also CAFE). The unit is 5 years old with no problems till now. Distance to burners is over the recommended height. Suggestions?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you run the vent when you use the cooktop below it? Because if not, that would explain why you're having issue. The vent should be turned on any time you use the cooktop no mater what. If you are using the vent all the time and you're at least 18" away from the cooktop, either the pot you're using is just a bit too high, or possibly the board is getting weak and is being affected by heat too much when it shouldn't. Either way, the only way to really fix the issue if the vent is being used, would be t move the larger pots to the left side of the cooktop,or replace the display board if it's getting weak.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

TZ, I went to the local parts store and the control pad was $630.00. Way too much for a microwave. The clerk suggested I clean the electrical ribbons to and in the unit. I did . Works great.

Awesome. I'm glad you have it up and running again one way or another, but I agree that that is way too expensive for the part. Possibly the moisture from the cooktop corroded the ribbon connection? It's hard to know but it is odd that it only acted up when cooking below it.