Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Have problem with Fisher Paykel Ecosmart washer...GWL10US.

Customer Question

Have problem with Fisher Paykel Ecosmart washer...GWL10US. Halfway through cycle it beeps a constant pattern until I 1) lift lid, 2) close lid, 3) power off washer, 4) power on washer, 5) start cycle over. Washer then runs to completion. It does this every time. What could the problem be?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Lets see if an error code pulls up.

With the machine off, press and hold the Wash Temp Down button and then push the power button until the machine gives 2 short beeps and lights up. Now press the Spin Speed Up button three times so that the Hold and Slow LEDs are illuminated.

The eight wash progress LEDs will show the error code. Which ones are illuminated from LEFT to RIGHT? Example (1st, 5th, 8th)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

From left to right, the 4th and 7th lights are illuminated.

Did you just replace the control board by chance?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No...it has been operating this way for the past couple years...we just 'live' with it, but I'd like to either get it fixed or replace the unit.

Can you run the cycle until it starts beeping again and then look at the lights on the progress cycle WHILE it's beeping. Can you tell me which lights are on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Will start it now...may take a few minutes. Will let you know as soon as I have the info.

OK just let me know when you can.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK...it's beeping now and the 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th lights are illuminated.

OK perfect. That makes more sense. You will need to drain out as much water as you can and then unplug the washer and tip it backwards a bit so you can get underneath of it. There is a "Y-connection" in the back right corner with (3) 1" hoses connected to it. Disconnect the hoses and check the "Y-connection" for any blockages. Remove any blockages if necessary. This part is your "diverter valve". Your error code is telling you that the diverter valve isn't working properly so if you don't find any debris inside, you'll need to replace the diverter itself which is usually about $50 or so for the part. Below is a link to the part you can order for your model.

CLICK HERE for diverter valve

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Follow-up. I ordered the new diverter valve, installed it, and it had *no*impact. The machine is still behaving just as it did with the old diverter valve. Is there anything else that could be causing this?

So are you still getting the exact same error? Run the cycle until it beeps again and if the 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 8th lights comes on and the diverter valve has been replaced---the main control board under the control panel on the far right is giving a false error and the control board would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yep...exact same error. Do you have a link to the control board part?

So that would be a problem because this unit is old enough that they no longer make the board for it. The part number you'd need is 426930P for this model, but locating a new board will likely be very difficult since the part hasn't been make in a few years.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks...I stand by my 'Excellent' rating that I gave you earlier. We will limp along until the spring when I can replace the washer.

alright, wel I do appreciate the rating and I'm really sorry about the problems with your washer. If you need anything else, please let me know and I'll be sure to help.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

If you have any recommendations I'd love to know. I'm kind of leaning towards a front-loading washer.

So as far as front load washers go, I would stay away from Whirlpool and Maytag at the moment, although I used to recommend them all the time. The newest models tend to have a lot of electrical issues. I would probably go with a Samsung unit as they seem to be the most reliable and definitely the quietest units on the market currently.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the tips. Have a great day!

Not a problem at all and you do the same.