Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Found a question on this site regarding a Kenmore fridge making

Found a question on this site regarding a Kenmore fridge making a tapping sound from about a year ago and you asked if it was metallic sounding. Mine is making a metallic tapping sound, very intermittently.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Can you resend the model number with a space in between each number ? it didn't come through. also do you hear this noise louder when you open the freezer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model Number: 2 5 3 9 6 6 8 0 1 0

We haven't opened the freezer while it's been happening because it happens just once and very occasionally. It sounds just like someone has reached out an tapped a metal can - just one time and then nothing for like, hours.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
almost like a slight clunk noise ? or does it sound more like a chatter ? A loud ticking or clicking ? just want to narrow this down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just a single clunk and then nothing for, like, the rest of the day.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay So whats going on is the compressor inside is actually hitting the side wall when the compressor shuts down, Although this is probably annoying its not something to worry about. Inside the compressor there are rubber mounts the compressor itself sit on. these are worn and that's the reason for the clunk. as far as fixing it you cant repair the compressor the only thing you could do is replace it buts that's expensive. upwards of $600-$700 so if you can live with it that's better. like I said it doesn't effect the running of it at this point. It may get worse over a long period then you may think about repairing it.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your help and responding so promptly.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome, please remember to rate me 3 or above before signing off if you haven't already done so. have a great day and thanks , Bryan