Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool Model RF362BXKQ with F5E1 error code during self

Whirlpool Model RF362BXKQ with F5E1 error code during self cleaning cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.

Tyler Z. :

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Tyler Z. :

Is the oven door actually locked at this point? Or can you still open the door?

Customer:

Was still locked when we left...range is in our cottage 8.5 hrs away; family returning in 2 weeks, trying to help them out with a solution other than calling an $$$whirlpool tech. Circuit breaker for range left off when we left.

Tyler Z. :

OK perfect. So the error F5E1 actually means that your door lock assembly has failed and won't open or close for some reason.

Tyler Z. :

S

o it sounds like your door latch may have failed. Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset. When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

Customer:

OK. Is the latch assembly only required for self-cleaning? If I am able to release the latch manually, with the error code go away; will I be able to use the oven?

Tyler Z. :

Yes, the latch is only required for self cleaning. If you need to manually unlock the oven, the error will likely not just go away, the latch assembly would most likely need to be replaced if it requires manual assistance to unlock.

Customer:

Ok. Is it difficult to replace the latch assembly by oneself, or is a tech required?

Tyler Z. :

The latch motor on this unit is actually mounted behind the oven with a long rod that goes up front. So you'd need to pull the oven out and remove the back panel in order to access the lock motor for replacement

Tyler Z. :

If you're handy, you can definitely replace it yourself

Customer:

Would you happen to know a part number?

Tyler Z. :

One of the top two latch motors in the link below is the one you need. But you'll need to inspect and see which latch you have on your unit. One has 2 black switches, the other has only 1 switch.

CLICK HERE for latches

Customer:

So basically, if I can get it to open on its own using one of the techniques you described above, the error code should go away and I will never self clean the oven again, lol. If the oven requires to be manually opened, we will need to replace the latch assembly. Am I thinking correctly?

Tyler Z. :

That is correct, yes

Customer:

Thank you. Is there a way to get the ''beeping'' alarm to stop until a latch assembly could be acquired?

Tyler Z. :

No problem. The only way to stop the beeping would be to hopefully reset the latch, or just leaving the oven unplugged / flipping the circuit breaker off I'm afraid.

Customer:

I was afraid you would say that! Have a great day!

Tyler Z. :

not a problem and I'm sorry about the issues you're having with the oven today. I hope it gets resolved soon

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.