Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Kenmore Elite bottom freezer. Recently, it was defrosting

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Elite bottom freezer. Recently, it was defrosting and not cooling. Had a company come out and replace the control panel, and the compressor relay. After the reapirs were complete an error code, "er dh" appeared and the water dispenser, icemaker no longer works.
Company now tells me that they have to order annew control panel because they had the wrong part (computer orderind issue). I have without a functioing regrig for a week. Help! Thanks Chris Kiley
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. Good morning.Give me a few minutes , I'm look up the service sheets. thanks please stand by.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, standing by.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
when they replaced the control board was it the one in the back ? number 501A on this diagram ? or did they replace the board on the door ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the board in the back.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay the error means the defrost heater isn't getting power from the board , Is the refrigerator actually running right now or is it dead? (the fans running and compressor running )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the repairs were madw last. This morning it seemed cooler, however, I do not hear the unit running.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay open the freezer and take a look at the back wall. is there frost on it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no frost.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay is the fan running in the freezer ? Do you know the part number of the board they put in ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Don't hear the fan, don't know the part number of board,however, this morning when i called, they replied that they had used a samsung board and it may require a different board.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I see, and that's the issue. You see there are 2 different boards they use in these. this one. Main Control Board 6871JK1011G Main Product ViewManufacturer Number 6871JK1011G, and this one Main Control Board 6871JB1375H     Main Product ViewManufacturer Number 6871JB1375H as you can see they are almost identical but they are different. whichever one they used is the wrong one and the other will need to be installed instead, so are you going to repair this yourself or are they comming back with a new board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure, can you confirm which is the correct board from above. Is this something I can repair? How much would a new board cost, and where can I get one? thanks

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay what you would need to do is take a close look at the board they installed and tell me which one it looks like. unfortunately they don't say which board in particular is in yours. Pcb main

PART NUMBER: 6871JB1375E

Substitution: 6871JB1375H

This is a manufacturer substitution. Part may differ in appearance but is a functional equivalent to prior parts including 6871JB1375E.

so as you can see I cant tell which board came out of yours. I'm guessing the 6871JB1375H is the one you need.can you call and ask which board they put in ? the board runs around $134.00 if you buy it yourself.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

number i found on the board is 6871JK1011G. I hear a humming noise when I pull out the unit.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay perfect ! So that's one of the only two boards that go in these so now we know the

Main Control Board 6871JB1375H is the one that you need and should have been put in yours. heres a link to order the correct board. control board just click on that blue link . Great job ! thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great!!!!! You rock. Can I use the refrig? Seems to be cool enough? Also is this board something I just plug in?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well if its cooling enough to keep things cold then yes you can use it. the board just plugs in so you can replace it yourself. have a great day and please remember to rate me 3 or above before signing off. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan, also discovered that the lights in the refrig no longer work.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

okay well that also is run by that board. there are relays that control the lights. that's one of the things that wont run with the wrong board. I'm sure once you replace the board everything will be fine again. thank you and best wishes. Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again bryan!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your welcome !