Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a five year old Amana double wall oven (AEW4630DDW).

I have a five year old Amana double wall oven (AEW4630DDW). The top oven randomly malfunctions more than 50% of the time. Mostly during the preheat phase but also after that temperature is attained there is a double beep, the heating elements turn off, "oven" on the panel blinks on and off and the buttons for the top oven become nonfunctional. The bottom oven continues to functions properly. Do I need to replace the control panel (or possibly the circuit board) or is there another something else I should check. The temperature sensor checks out all right.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

The first thing I would have said is the oven sensor but since this checks out the control board will need to be replaced since this is what reads the sensor.

Click here to order the replacement part

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike, I tested the sensor and it had the same resistance reading as the sensor for the lower oven. Is it possible that the sensor has an intermitant problem ...is that a possible problem in sensors. If it is the control panel what would be the nature of failure would cause the discribed symptoms? I don't want to sink $300 with a certain level of confidence that it will solve the problem. A few hours after a failure the oven often will operate normally.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It's likely a bad relay that is sticking in the control, The sensor should read around 1080 ohm at room temp, if it is not on or close to that number then the only thing it can be brent is a inttermittent sticking relay

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brent,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've been playing around with the oven. Would you guess I can't get it fail, but I heated it up to 500 degrees and turned it off. I let it cool for 15 minutes and preheated it to 500 degrees. It immediately indicated that it was at 500 degrees. Next I let it cool for a half hour and preheated it again to 500 degrees. This time it indicated that it cooled to 320. It heated 5 degrees every five of six seconds, but when it got to about 410 degrees the panel indicated that it raced through the last 90 degrees in about 7 or 8 seconds. Even though it checks out at room temperature, I would guess I have a faulty sensor. Would you agree

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes either a sensor or a faulty control, pull the sensor out and test it at room temp with a ohm meter, it should read around 1080 ohms, if it's on or near that mark the control will need to be replaced, if it's not near that mark then the sensor is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Let me share further findings that might add to your experience. I had checked out the sensor at room temperature and got 1080 ohms. I then interchanged the sensor of the lower and upper ovens. This time the bottom oven exhibated the failure that the top oven had. This test indicates that while the sensor checked out at room tempature it beacme irradatic and higher temperatures...greater than 370 to 400 degrees. The conclusion that could be of value to you and will probably save me $300 for a control panel is: failing the room temperature 1080 ohm resistance test for the sensor is an sure indication that the sensor is bad; however passing that test is not necessarilly an sure indication that the sensor is good or that it functions properly over it full temperature range.

Your previous advise would have led me to unnecessarily buy a control panel, but your prompting and my being a skin-flint did push me to finding a prober solution.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok