Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a frigidare oven that seems to be stuck in self cleaning

I have a frigidare oven that seems to be stuck in self cleaning mode. I hear clicking from the mechanism that cycles the lock of the door from locked to unlocked. The cancel button does not seem to work and the oven does not work. The top range works. Can you help me with the oven part?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Ok so it sounds like your door latch may have failed.  Try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset.  When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly.  If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly.  It's not easy to manually unlock the door.  You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top.  Force the latch over to the left and open the door. The lock motor is mounted behind the back of the oven. So to replace the lock motor or if you need to access it, pull the oven forward and remove the back panel to access the lock motor assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing to do with the door latch. As I said earlier the door latch is cycling open and closed you can here the clicking noise from the motor. My issue is the oven is stuck in this mode and cancel does not work, shutting the unit off by pulling the power does not work either.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So I guess it wasn't clear that it was opening and closing but now that I understand that the door latch is cycling open and closed---that actually means it's bad believe it or not. There is a switch on the latch assembly that will tell it when it has reached the open position. So if the latch is cycling open and closed, that switch is bad and the latch assembly definitely needs to be replaced. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN