Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I followed these steps and my dishwasher is flashing 4 and

I followed these steps and my dishwasher is flashing 4 and 6. What is this? thanks. suzi

this is a miele incognito dishwasher.  I emptied all the pooled water, checked the valves, went through steps to reset and still getting same result.  can't figure out why the 4 and 6 lights are flashing.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Lights 4 and 6 flashing means that your circulation pump is not producing the kind of pressure needed to hold the heater level switch down. Now this could mean you have a bad circulation pump, or it could mean you don't have enough water in the dishwasher. Check the water level when it's flashing the error code and the water level should be about as high as the bottom of the filter handle below the bottom rack. If you don't have that much water, something is going on with your water supply. If the water level is correct, the circulation pump would need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not clear on how to check the water level. should I run it again and then open it when it stops to see what the level is?

yes, that is correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

right now the lights are still blinking. do I just turn off to reset the system and then start again?

yes. Press and hold the clear/stop button for 5 seconds and then it should turn off and you can turn it back on and start another cycle.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok. I heard drain run. there is water pooled in the bottom up to the spin arm, but doesn't seem to be doing anything now. red light is on that machine is working, but nothing else.

Aye, so unfortunately you have a bad circulation pump that would need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sounds expensive. ugh.

Aye, it is I'm afraid to say. The part alone costs about $350 or so and comes only from Miele directly since they do not have outside distributers.