Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hello Barry, In regards XXXXX XXXXX warm fridge and cold freezer in

Hello Barry, In regards XXXXX XXXXX warm fridge and cold freezer in this post: http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/4z0bh-maytag-mfd2560hes-fridge-warm-freezer.html

I am having the same problem. What else could it be? Also, what is the function of the part number 13 in your first response? In my fridge the valve opens and closes with my finger but I was wondering if that little motor is supposed to open and close it or if that motor serves another purpose.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So part 13 just opens and closes to allow air in from the freezer to cool the refrigerator. If the damper is opening and the refrigerator isn't getting cold enough, then the next thing to do would be to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. You need to confirm that the fan is running above the silver coils inside the freezer and if not, replace the fan. You also need to look at the frost on the silver coils. They should be lightly frosted from top to bottom but if they are packed with frost, they will not allow air to pass and then you have a defrost issue.

The thermostat is working if the damper is opening to cool as well as the control board so those are really not possibilities.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the damper opening and closing controlled by the flow of air from the fan? The fan inside the freezer is working btw. I had tons of frost on the coils and they are currently defrosting. I measured the resistance across the thermostat and it read really high when the freezer was warm and really low when the freezer was cold.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No, the damper opens based on the need to cool inside the refrigerator. But it sounds like you've found the problem and it's the number 1 issue this refrigerator gets. Thaw all the frost out and it'll work for a week or two. Then replace the thermostat because it should have less than 1 ohm continuity or else it will not defrost.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I'll try that out and see if it holds up

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. You have a great rest of the day! Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!