Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a whirlpool Estate Refrig and the condensor fan will

I have a whirlpool Estate Refrig and the condensor fan will not shut off
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Are we talking about the fan in the back next to the compressor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes the condensor fan

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Does your unit have a mechanical defrost time or an electronic one? I am seeing that this is old school mechanical driven system with no computers in it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes it is a mechanical defrost timer

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
The condensor fan, compressor, and evaparator fan all tied together, If one is running then all of them have to be running, I have studied the wiring diagram and traced it. not if you had the electronic controls, they can be worked separately. but your unit is all mechanical.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so the fan doesn't have a thermal switch on it
what do you think i need to do

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
I am trying to see how it could be getting power to that fan without the compressor or the Evap fan running at the same time...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I didn,t see how it was getting power either. I thought that all the power went through the defrost timer.

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
That is correct, but only one line goes from the timer to the 2 fan motors and compressor. Which means if one is running then all of them have to be running...

graphic

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

that may be I didn,t get down and feel it,btu it sounds different when the compresor is runnig

Expert:  Chas replied 11 months ago.
Also check the polarity of the outlet, if the outlet is wired wrong it could possibly be getting a back feed of electricity..

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech