Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

I have a whirlpool Estate Refrig and the condensor fan will

I have a whirlpool Estate Refrig and the condensor fan will not shut off

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Are we talking about the fan in the back next to the compressor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the condensor fan

Does your unit have a mechanical defrost time or an electronic one? I am seeing that this is old school mechanical driven system with no computers in it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it is a mechanical defrost timer

The condensor fan, compressor, and evaparator fan all tied together, If one is running then all of them have to be running, I have studied the wiring diagram and traced it. not if you had the electronic controls, they can be worked separately. but your unit is all mechanical.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so the fan doesn't have a thermal switch on it
what do you think i need to do

I am trying to see how it could be getting power to that fan without the compressor or the Evap fan running at the same time...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn,t see how it was getting power either. I thought that all the power went through the defrost timer.

That is correct, but only one line goes from the timer to the 2 fan motors and compressor. Which means if one is running then all of them have to be running...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that may be I didn,t get down and feel it,btu it sounds different when the compresor is runnig

Also check the polarity of the outlet, if the outlet is wired wrong it could possibly be getting a back feed of electricity..

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory