Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

i just cleaned out my refrigerator (yesterday) a whirlpool

i just cleaned out my refrigerator (yesterday) a whirlpool side by side and the alarm whcih sounds when the door is left open is continuing to sound even now. I dont understand why its at the correct temp 36 degrees. However the light when the door is opened will not come on. Can you please help me, one more night listening to that alarm will drive me and my husband to go nuts.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the light not turning on means that the unit thinks the door was opened for longer than 10 minutes. Unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes (don't plug it in early). Plug the refrigerator back in and if the lights inside still won't turn on, then you need to replace your main control board I'm afraid to say. If the lights do come on and it works like normal, then awesome, you're good to go and the board just needed to be re-booted. The last option is if the lights start working, but the shut off and it starts beeping again after a few minutes. That means that your refrigerator isn't sensing that your door is shut and the door switch would need to be replaced.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If i need to replace my control board approx. what would that cost

The part is about $200-250 or so, so it's not a cheap part at all I'm afraid to say.