Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Refrig/Freezer model 23 or 25-GSS23WSTA. SS Icemaker makes

Refrig/Freezer model 23 or 25-GSS23WSTA. SS
Icemaker makes loud racket. Cubes are small. Water on floor in front of freezer. Bottom shelf of freezer has layer of ice. Water filter changed one month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Hi Can you give me a moment to look up that model number please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes. I am a senior on fixed income. Concerned about the repair cost.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok Bart, sounds to me like you have 2 problems here not one. The first problem sounds like a blocked defrost drain , this is why you have a ice sheet on the lower shelf. Follow the instructions below to clear this problem.

In order to fix this problem remove the shelfs/drawer from the freezer, Next remove the lower panel in the rear. Behind this panel you will see the evaporator (looks like a car radiator) below this you will see the defrost drain pan.

Use a hair dryer to melt the ice you will see in the drain pan. Mop the water up you will then see the defrost drain. Pour hot water into the drain pan, leave the water for a few minutes then mop it up, Repeat this several times until you see the water drain away.

At this point you will be all set and can button the unit back up :)

The problem with the grinding ice maker is because the heater inside the mold where the ice is made has failed, this is causing the motor to strain (noise) the small ice cubes are further evidence that is the problem. In this case the ice maker will eventually fail so it will need to be replaced.

Click here to order a new ice maker

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I removed the lower rear panel and see no drain pan.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
No you will need to remove the lower panel inside the freezer once you have removed the shelfs.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

All the shelves have been removed along w/lower panel. Where is the drain pan?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Oh ok bart, The drain pan is right under the evaporator.

graphic

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Are hand tools required to remove panels?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Should be just a nut driver or screw driver, If you don't have a nut driver then you can get a set at home depot or lowes for as low as $10.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This was a frustrating experience. I know I am obligated to pay $50 (less the $5 deposit) for this. Mike's responses were quick but not explicit enough. Didn't mention that had tools were required and we have none, etc.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry tools are always needed for this kind of job, you can come back at any time for further assistance, please don't forget to rate me ok service or above if you have no further questions, thanks!
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Hi Bart,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My neighbor was able to get it working after he used his hand tools to remove the back panel. No more messages, please. Thank you.
Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks