John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Now the refrigerator seems to be working but the freezer is

Now the refrigerator seems to be working but the freezer is not. The light went out and the freezer is not cooling.
Hi I,m John I will help you with the freezer problem .
You said you defrosted the freezer , was it all frosted up, can you hear the freezer fan motor going ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, there was frost solidly over the back panel. I cannot hear anything from the unit but a humming and I believe that is from the refrigerator.

When you defrosted the freezer coils was the fan motor blade stuck in frost ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know. Rather than use a blow dryer we just transferred everything from the freezer and refrigerator and let the unit defrost. We did it that way since the entire back panel of the freezer was solid ice.

I believe the entire unit was defrosted before we looked at the fan.

Now its defrosted , can you hear the freezer fan motor going and can you hear the compressor going, you may have to pull the fridge out and remove the bottom back panel to see if the compressor and the fan motor is going by the compressor, can you do that ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John - I cannot move the refrigerator by myself. However my son will be home this evening and can do that so how do I get back to you after that is done or do I wait until morning?.

Also if the fan is not running what to do?? Also the compressor?

I does appear that something is running as the refrigerator is cold. So does that mean that the compressor could be running but now the fan??

It is possible that the compressor is going and the fan motor by the compressor as well.
Its also possible that the freezer fan motor is going, Let me know tonight if they are going , You can remove the bottom front kick plate and check if the condenser coils are full of dust bunnies as well please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are no dust bunnies as we carefully cleaned when we removed the kick plate. I will get back to you tonight. Thank you. Joye

OK Joye , just log back in here tonight I will be on till eleven .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fridge is still freezing. Freezer not working. I've had the refrigerator for barely three years. What does it mean when I have a 10 year limited warranty? Could you explain that to me. I've had the fridge for three.

What is the temp in the freezer , the fridge gets its cold from the freezer so I don't understand how the food in the fridge is freezing and your saying the freezer isn't cold ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

John - I must have misspoke when I said the refrigerator is freezing. It is cold in the frig but the freezer is not working and the ice machine is not working.

Open the freezer door and tell me if you can hear the freezer fan motor going please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I opened the freezer door and something is running.

Can you remove the freezer panel again and tell me if all the coils are cold please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi John - my son moved the unit and everything started running and he checked & the ice maker was not plugged in and he did that.

Thank you for you answers. It is obvious I cannot live without my frig. chuckle.

Thats great I,m glad it started for you .
A rating of three or more will credit me for helping with the problem .