Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Model FAV9800AWW - control panel backlight very dark, barely

Model FAV9800AWW - control panel backlight very dark, barely lit. Does it need replaced?
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. okay so your display is going dark ? the main control board is integrated with the display. you are correct Main Control Board 25001218        Main Product ViewMain Control Board 25001218        Main Product View in order to repair your issue this will need to be replaced. Main Control Board 25001218 , here a link to order that if you wish. main control its around $350.00 so its up to you if you want to replace it. to order just click that blue link. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this a job an average homeowner can do himself? I am only moderately skilled at mechanical repairs, but not an expert.

well as far as replacing it the wires are plug and play. in other words just switch the wire plugs to the new board and your all set. it goes right in through the back and is not difficult to install, just remove number 11 on this diagram to access. thanks and very best wishes, Bryan