Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a spacemaker GE Laundry unit Model # XXXXX Water

I have a spacemaker GE Laundry unit Model # XXXXX
Water ran out onto the floor during the wash cycle. Turned it to spin, and the rest of the water drained out. The model sticker says 10/01. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. Good afternoon, was there a lot of water or just leaking and coming out on the floor in the front ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We weren't in the room at the time the leaking began, but upon seeing the flooded floor went and turned off machine...then could still hear water running...so turned machine back on and moved to spin cycle to get it to drain out of the drain hose.
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay when you shut this off you still heard water coming in ? with the machine off ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

we still heard water running out onto floor...not into machine. ;) that is why we moved the knob to spin and turned it back on since the tub was at least 1/2 full still.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
oh perfect okay. the problem is the hose between the tub and the drain pump. these move back and forth and crack, we replace a ton of these. Pump Hose WH41X10027 Main Product View put a little water in the machine and move that hose and you will most likely see the water come out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I take the front cabinet off, will I see the hose? or do I need to access it another way?
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
yes I'm sorry I thought you already had the front panel off , as soon as you take the front panel off you will see the drain pump on the floor on the right side, that hose goes between that and the tub. you will see it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
there are two screws at the bottom of the front panel number 2535 remove the screws and pull the panel out at the bottom to remove.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

thank you...I will check that shortly...dealing with a new puppy at the moment. ;)

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay. thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, I checked the hose and couldn't find any crack, so we bit the bullet and turned the washer on to find the leak. The hose is great and doesn't leak. And there was no appearance of any leak anywhere, though I only put a small amout of water in, at first, until the hose felt warm (used hot water). After draining and spinning we refilled the washer (low level) and stopped when I heard the water running out. I discovered that it is collecting in the piece that holds the motor then running out the right side onto the metal floor cabinet...then of course onto the house floor. i traced the water back to the center at the bottom of the tub. curious to me since it didn't drip the first time. So what do you suggest now?
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
you found this leaking out of the tub seal ? in the middle of the tub where the transmission shaft goes up the middle? graphic
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes that is correct.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
okay, the main tub seal has failed. its actually not common on these rarely happens. Tub Seal WH08X10004 Main Product View This is not a simple fix unfortunately. the entire tub has to be removed because it goes in through the bottom. The seal is also $109.00 , this is not something we could walk you through either unfortunately. if you think you could do it heres a link to order it if you wish. Tubseal click that link. I wish I had better news. sorry.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for all your help. Do you know if I can rmove the tub from the front or will I have to figure out how to take the dryer off and pull the tub our from the top?

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
your welcome, thank you , Bryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, my typing got confused.

I know you said you can not walk me through the repair, but can you point me in the right direction? do you know how I must proceed to remove the tub?

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
I have to go out for a bit , when I get back I'll try and send you some info , its kinda tough to do, the transmission has to come out to replace the seal.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

so for a mom (who can follow instructions and use basic tools, as well as pull a toilet, lay tiles, landscape) but knows nothing about motors...am I over my head?

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.

Its a pretty big job unfortunately. you will need to remove the whole tub assembly with the transmission all in one piece to get the transmission out and replace the seal. its a huge job.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

like buy a washer and dryer huge? ;) (If so I am open for suggestions. This "spacesaver" is in a cottage on our property...in the kitchen with about 12inches of extra space by the counter.)

the possible repair sounds like 2 days for me....if I could manuever everything. My husband is good with alot of stuff but doesn't have a lot of time...and would rather work with wood. :) I noticed repair clinic has no videos on this style either.

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.

sorry that's the wrong video

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
I cant find the video for yours either, All I remember on these because its a stackable is its a real tough one to install , A tech would probably charge you around $100.00 to do this so it may be worth having it done, you cant replace that for that money.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

okey doke. thank you! have a great week!

Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
you too and thanks, Bryan

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So I didn't think I rated you yet, but the program says I did. I wanted to give you an excellent service. Did I? (Computers aren't my thing either.
;)
Expert:  Bryan replied 11 months ago.
Yes you did thank you so much, I just wish I could do more. thanks again, Bryan
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Great! ;)