Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

I have a KEDH207YWH range and I get a F-5 code when I set the

Customer Question

I have a KEDH207YWH range and I get a F-5 code when I set the oven for bake, roast or broil. I put the oven through a self clean cycle and then went to use it later in the day only to find the F-5 code when I set the oven to operate. Range top works, the elements will get warm, oven light comes on when the buttom is pushed for the light, and the oven will go into a clean cycle, but not bake, roast, broil etc. What is the problem and it is easy to fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 10 months ago.

Appliance Tech Dave :

Hello, this is Dave. The F5 error code tells us that the oven door latch has failed.

Customer:

Thanks Dave, how easy is it to repair or replace this door latch?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Let me take a look at the parts breakdown.

Customer:

The range was installed in 1995, will parts be available? Do you think the door latch is an universal part still on the market? I live in Canada is that going to be a problem in finding this part?

Appliance Tech Dave :

Is this for the upper oven? I see the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand is will be available in Canada.

Appliance Tech Dave :

I don't see a manual for this model so all I have to go on is memory and the parts list. It looks like you may need to pull it out part way and remove the control panel unless the panel in front of the latch comes off and allow enough room. Sorry I don't have more specific info on this one.

Customer:

There is only one oven. It is a slide in range, smooth cooktop surface, full size oven below and a drawer at the bottom. Also where will I find service instructions on how to access this component for service.

Appliance Tech Dave :

I need to leave for a few hours and won't be back until this evening. If you need help sooner you can opt me out and someone else will help you. Thanks.

Experience: 30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I ordered the part you recommended and am going to pick it up today. How do i get to this part on the range? Are there special tools required to change out this part? Thanks

There are no special tools need but there is not a service manual for this specific model number. The parts list doesn't show enough for me to tell what needs to come apart to get to the latch. If there is a separate panel in front of the latch it can be removed to gain access. There should be screws on the ends and top. If the latch is behind a portion of the liner face you would need to remove the cook top glass. I will try to get specific info and get back to you in a while.
On this one the cook top does need to come up to get to the latch. There are screws on both sides and in the back so you will need to pull it all the way out. Just turn off the breaker before you start.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'll give it a try and let you know the outcome. Thanks.

You are welcome.