Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My 9 year old GE side by side has a little green light on that

My 9 year old GE side by side has a little green light on that indicates "door alarm". The doors have never been left open. No noises
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you close the door and peel back the door seal, do you see a light on inside the unit? And do you happen to have a model number so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The refer is actually at the home next door - it is mine but I loaned it to them and I am getting it back to put into my garage as I have replaced it. The lights go on when the door is open and it is cold - no problems there. I just wondered about why that light (little round and green) is on. It isn't being used now - it's empty but plugged in. I can't go get the model number right now, but it's 9 years old, black, orange peel finish, side by side.

OK so are you sure that the green light is for the door ajar? I ask because often times the green light on GE units is to tell you that the temperature is OK inside and it turns orange or red if it gets too warm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The doors have never been ajar. I know this because I check the home which is currently not occupied every few days, and I know that the doors have always been closed, and he only light color that has come on is the little green light next to the DOOR ALARM INDICATOR.

OK understood. So you need to see if the lights are on inside when the doors are closed by peeling back the door seal while. If the lights are on, one of your door switches has failed and needs to be replaced. If the lights are off, you'd just have a bad control board where that light turns on. But other than being confusing, I'm not sure there is a reason to replace the control board since it would be expensive just to replace so that the light goes out.