Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Model#GTWN4950LWS, 2 1/2 yrs. in service. Wont start. Unplugged

Model#GTWN4950LWS, 2 1/2 yrs. in service. Won't start. Unplugged it and let it sit over night and tried again. It filled and even though it went into wash cycle the indicator light did not switch to wash cycle and then it would go no further. Managed to get it to spin so I could get the water out but trying to restart so far has been unsuccessful.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Will it fill and drain even though it won't wash or spin? Or does it do nothing?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

It filled once washed and spun but stopped and won't proceed. The fill light was on continuously and never changed.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
OK understood, is that what happens now or did that just happen 1 time?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Won't do anything now. even tried unplugging again. Just beeps and quits.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
OK so there is nothing that would stop everything except the control board itself. Even the lid switch would just stop the unit from spinning and agitating, but not filling and draining. Below is a link to the control board you'd need to order for your model.

CLICK HERE

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Expert is fine solution is questionable!
so, it's up to me to fix it?

Is there a local Tech who can fix it? Otherwise it sounds like a fishing expedition!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
So, you can definitely fix it yourself if you're handy. The part itself is all plug and play. As far as finding an authorized servicer in your area, you would want to call GE and their number is XXXXX The unit is over 1 year old so there wouldn't be a warranty on this issue which is really the bad news.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Do you need an answer immediately. I have a little problem with buying a part that represents nearly 1/2 of what the washer cost initially then having to install it myself. If install doesn't go well for any reason then I am faced with buying another. I need to investigate further.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
So, the link I gave you for the part was through Repairclinic.com. I recommend them because they allow you to return parts if for whatever reason you don't need it. I'm not sure of what you mean by do I need an "answer"? You definitely don't have to go through with the repair if it doesn't make sense to you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

First my quick math was wrong. The part alone would be 25% of the selling price of the whole washer but it still seems too high a risk. I think I need to investigate further. I am really disappointed in GE. Not with you personally! I know you have a set of rules to follow. But this is not my first rodeo either having gone down this path with Maytag a couple of yrs.ago.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.
Alright, well I do wish you the best.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.