John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

My WSXH208A1WW front load GE washing machine gets stuck on

My WSXH208A1WW front load GE washing machine gets stuck on the fill cycle. It doesn't happen every time, only some times. The dial does not advance. What's the problem? I'm wasting a whole lot of water here :(
Hi I,m John I will help you with the washer problem .
Are you saying that the water continues to enter the tub ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. The initial cycle is water running for about 20-30 sec, the it should stop and start turning the load. But it never gets that far. Sometimes it works just fine, this doesn't happen every time.

You can start the cycle on heavy , medium, or light. And it doesn't seem to matter.
Does the drain hose drain into a sink or a drain pipe and if its a drain pipe how hi off the floor is the drain pipe .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Drain pipe. There is about 4 feet of 5/8(?) flexible hose off the back just sort of bundled up, which outlets into a 1 1/2" pvc trap. The inlet to the trap is open and the flexible hose looks like it just sits in it (duct tape). The inlet is about 18 inches off the floor. The btm of the trap is about 12 inches. The washer unit itself sits on one of those drawers
Ok, the problem is the hight of the drain pipe it should be at least 36 in off the floor, whats happening is the water is draining out as its filling, the cure for the problem is to raise the drain pipe to stop the siphoning out of the water .
If you require more assistance let me know please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
36" off floor or 36 from btm of unit? I ask because of that drawer.
It should be 36 in from the top of the drawer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your solution seemed to work for a couple weeks but the problem came back...

At first I just temporarily hung the hose at about the height you suggested. Yesterday I affixed it to the back of the machine more permanently, and the problem came back.
How far down the drain pipe is the drain hose pushed into the drain pipe and is the end taped up ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The trap is just off the floor. Th pipe comes up about maybe 6" above it. The top is not taped up. The hose goes to the btm of pipe, not through the trap obviously.
Your problem is the drain pipe is too close to the floor, it must be raised to 36 in from the top of the washer dtanr, do that and you will fix the problem .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well that's easy. Can you explain the problem and why raising the pipe will help?
The drain pipe has to be above the water line in the tub or it will just Siphon out, its like Siphoning out gas from your gas tank once it starts to flow it will empty the gas tank, so the cure is to raise the drain hose so it cant start to flow with gravity.
Hope this answers the question , If you require further assistance let me know please .