Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

refrigerator coils froze up in freezer fan is running heater

refrigerator coils froze up in freezer fan is running heater coil is good what could cause this
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Coils are frosted over due to a faulty defrost circuit..This can be caused by a faulty Defrost thermostat..A faulty Defrost heater..Or a faulty adaptive defrost board..First test the heating element..Then test the thermostat..If all tests ok..Replace the adaptive defrost board..The thermostat is located on the evaporator coils behind the freezer wall..The adaptive board is located up inside the control panel in the fridge at the right side.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the element it was o.k. I saw what a guess is the thermostat clipped to the coils how would you check that .also that adaptive board you talked about is that what they called a defrost timer back when .... Ii am not up to date on new stuff .can the board be tested or just replace

To test the thermostat place it in a glass of ice water..Then test for continuity with a ohms meter..If the thermostat test ok..Then replace the Defrost board..Yes the defrost board takes the place of the mechanical timer,,The board cannot be tested with out factory test equipment.

The defrost board is #6 on the diagram..Remove the control inside the fridge to access