Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

starting this morning, the freezer and refrigerator were not

starting this morning, the freezer and refrigerator were not cold, I raise the dials to colder, then about 20 minutes later the compressor turned on and the temp dropped to 24-28 degrees. after about an hour, the compressor sound stopper, fan, and lights still on.
now the lower section of the freezer is hot in the back of the inside wall
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I'm sorry to hear about your problem today with your refrigerator, but perhaps I can explain what's going on with your unit in a way you can understand it. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there was a strap on the black box,

when we took the strap off the box swings open not off

there is a cylinder that came off,

There are some parts under the plastic box. Either way, that is your overload relay that you pull off to expose 3 prongs on the side of the compressor. Either way, that plastic box is the part you need to take off.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

black wire and blue wire on the bottom lug

black wire on middle lug

no wire on top lug

MM3-50JCA

Z187

compressor pistol hot

Hmm, do you have a model number by chance?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SCDT25HL refrigerator Amana

MM3-50JCA Z187 black cylinder on (temperature sensor?)

Aye, that's your overload and it needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would home depot or lowes have it

or do I have to go to an appliance repair supply house

You would need to go to an appliance parts store I'm afraid. Home Depot or Lowes would not have the part.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will go to V&V Appliance Parts, first thing monday morning.

Do you service Youngstown, Ohio?

Is there any way of testing the relay/switch with a multimeter?

Thank you for all your help

Unfortunately the relay isn't completely bad, it's either just weak or the compressor is just pulling too much power, not things you can really test I'm afraid. I'm out of Colorado so I don't service Ohio I'm afraid.