Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech

My LG WM2031HW front load is making a grinding noise with a

My LG WM2031HW front load is making a grinding noise with a medium sized load on the rinse cycle. It seems like it is having a hard time spinning. When I remove the load, it works fine. I can spin the tub by hand and hear no grinding noise. Put some weight back in the tub, and it struggles and grinds. Is this a bearing, or stator?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

This is a bad tub bearing, you will need to replace both bearings and the seal on the unit, not the easiest thing in the world to do... If you do it, take pictures while taking it apart to aid in putting it back together.. You can click on the blue link below to order the correct part for your washing machine.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am assuming I can remove the rear access panel to replace the parts. Also, will I have to remove the rotor and stator, etc. to do this repair?

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
You will need to remove the entire tub and the inner basket, as the bearing is pressed in from the inside the machine... The complete machine has to be taken apart, hence the reason for taking a lot of pictures so you can put it back together again and have it work...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Does this come in a kit, or purchase 3 separate parts?

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
For Maytag and WHirlpool and many other brands they make specific kits, however this brand does not, so each part needs to be ordered separately...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank You for your help. I appreciate it. Now I can really do some damage by trying to fix it.

Expert:  Chas replied 10 months ago.
Have at it, remember duct tape is always an option...

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Chas,

I do not know if you can reply again, but I need a quick answer. I bought the bearings, etc. I have the machine apart and noticed that inner part of the rotor where the shaft splines fit into, is stripped down pretty BAD. The shaft teeth seem fine. Looks like when the speed gets fast, the shaft is spinning in the rotor coupling, therefore grinding it down. Is this caused by a bad bearing, or does it sound like I just need to replace the rotor.

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.
Can you post a picture of it here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It will not let me attach it here. Is there an email I can send it to? The one above, tinyurl.... does not work.

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.
Are you talking about the shaft in the picture?

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I sent a picture of the center part of the rotor. The teeth are stripped down. It looks like the splined shaft that comes out through the bearings and into the rotor has been spinning in the rotor and has ground the teeth down. It does fine at low speed, but once it gets fast, the teeth in the rotor are so worn down, that the shaft is spinning because of the teeth being worn down. I am wondering if that is the noise instead of the bearings. It only makes the scrubbing noise at high speed.

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.
Okay so the metal teeth on the spider are not worn off, correct? This picutre has not come through yet and may take up to ten minutes till they send it to me..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It is not the spider. There is no noise when I spin it by hand, and it will spin fine with no noise, until I put some weight in washer. The teeth on the shaft will turn the rotor until the speed gets up, or weight is added by clothing. Once it gets speed or weight, it takes more torque, and the teeth in rotor are so worn down, that the shaft just spins because there is not enough of the splines in rotor to hold it.

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.
Was the bolt loose that held on the rotor?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

It did not seem to be loose. I had to spin it and pull socket the opposite way to break it loose.

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.
I have never seen the plastic get torn up on the rotor before... There is a lot of torque there, but there are also a lot of teeth, If the rotor is torn up you will need to replace it, I do not see replacement teeth for just the rotor, just the complete assembly.. I personally would still install the new bearings, something has to be dragging it to allow that to happen...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok, Thank You very much for your help. It has not been as bad as I thought to work on, but I will see about putting it back together.

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.
Okay, great, let me know if there is anything else I can do for you with your problem...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Do you know of anyone in the Raleigh, NC area that might carry the rotor assembly?

Expert:  Chas replied 9 months ago.
Joe,
I would be hard pressed and surprised if anybody carried one in stock for these, I have never seen one go bad..