Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Kenmore(NNN) NNN-NNNN- wont spin or drain and hums when you

Customer Question

Kenmore(NNN) NNN-NNNN- won't spin or drain and hums when you close lid
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Can you remove one of the pump hoses and have a look inside to see if there is something caught in it, preventing the impeller from turning? Since the pump is mounted directly to the motor, if the pump can't turn, the motor will not be able to run either. I suspect something has gotten into the pump. Let me know what you find, please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

There was not anyhing I can see but shouldnt it turn freely? It seams fairly hard to turn manually. I checked drain hoses and up inside of pump and did not see anything. I will check again with a flashlight

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Yes, the pump should turn freely, it has to. If it will not turn, the motor will not turn. If you leave the pump off the motor, will the motor turn then?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'll put it back on, I had it off checking the coupler.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, see if the motor will turn with the pump off. That will tell us if the pump is indeed the cause of the motor not working.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I couldnt get the cabinet back on all the way but enough to get the wiring back to jump the lid switch and the tub did begin to spin with the pump off. I didnt let it get up to speed but at least now i know it is not the motor. What are your thoughts?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, so that means you will need to replace the pump, available below. Very well done!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Drain Pump <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Kelly, I replaced the pump today and the motor will spin very slowly for about a half a turn with the motor humming then it stops.....what could this be?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Does it spin at full speed as it did when the pump was not installed?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well it never did get up to full speed because I didn't want to take the time since you were online, I only let it start turning and then shut it off. Now it turns real slow maybe a turn or two and then quits, all the while it seams as though the motor is humming louder than usual. I'm totally perplexed.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
If you have a cycle switch on it, to adjust the cycle speeds, turn that back and forth several times and see if it makes any difference.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I tried switching back and forth between loads, speed and water temps. Some times it moves a little and others it doesn't. regardless of that the motor hums louder than usual. About the most is has moved is maybe 2 complete turns

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It did move the furthest on fast speed

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Hmmm, do you have a meter to measure the current draw with, an ammeter?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I tried it again without the pump, same result-would start to spin and then quit leaving the motor humming. I took the motor back off and reinspected the coupler and made certain they were installed correctly- same result. I then took out the tub to inspect the drive block and it looked fine too. then I put it back together and gave it another test run - this time it made a clunky sound and then started spinning? WTF. I have shut it off 3-4 times and now it seams to be working. Could it have been something in the gears. Any ideas? I really don't expect it to last. I appreciate your help Kelly.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Does the wash tub seem to be dropped and dragging on the outer tub?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No I will look a little closer though and let you know - It just bugs me to not be able to figure this out. That's why I needed an expert like you.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Sometimes the drive blocks wear and allows the tub to slip down and rub on the outer tub. This is usually accompanied by a clunking sound at the end of the spin cycle before it drops, though. We will get it figured out, hang in there!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

My wife just told me the wash tub seems higher up, and the small wash cycle now works which didn't before - Does this mean I should go ahead and replace the drive block?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Yes, it is probably worn.

Drive Block <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here