Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

the clock and oven controls do not work anymore. How can I

the clock and oven controls do not work anymore. How can I remove that part to see what's wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me the model number from the drawer to the left or right or from the plate around the door aperture.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

unfortunately it "disappeared" due to grease I guess and can't read it anymore. I can send you a picture.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Is the clock (control panel) at the front or rear of the range? gas or electric stove top?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the clock is at the front (the entire Control Knob Section) (not quite sure what you mean with range) and it's an electric stove top

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok the first thing to do is turn the breaker all the way off then all the way back on again. If that fails to clear the problem then it very likely the clock (control board) has shorted, this will need to be replaced.

Because I don't have the model number I will have to kind of take a educated guess how it comes apart.

Open the oven door, Look under the control panel, there should be a bunch of screws holding the control panel in place, Remove these screws then the end caps should come off, You should then be able to grab the front of the control panel and lift it to gain access to the control board. If the panel will not lift you may need to access the control by lifting the cook top, This means the unit will need to be pulled out and the screws taken out from the cook top.

I would like to earn your highest rating, are you totally satisfied with my answer? If not please reply to me with your concerns or additional questions. If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction, please don't forget to rate me before you leave.

It was my pleasure helping you today. Feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions at no further charge. Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember if you have future questions regarding a faulty appliance, You can request me personally to assist you with the problem :)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

we know that one corner of the clock display unit is not attached to the holdings, since it's clip is broken. An authorized technician fixed it with tie rap (told us this is the only thing he can do - since the spare part is not anymore available. We basically would need to buy a new oven as he said.

Therefor I would like to access it. I did all what you said with removing the screws, etc. There are just the end caps which are screwed in the oven, where I cannot get to.

I tried to attach a pic in here but can't copy it in. If you give me your e-mail, I can send it.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
You would need to hit the paper clip tool at the top on the tool bar to add a picture, If the control did not lift then you would need to pull the unit out from the counter, Take the screws out along the side then lift the cook top.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have sent three pics, so you may recognize the Model.

The technician didn't need to pull the the unit completely out and managed otherwise

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The pictures did not come up on my end, You don't need to pull the unit all the way out just far enough to access the screws on the side. If the Tech did not have to pull out the unit at all to get to the control then he took the screws out under the botXXXXX XXXXXp, removed the knobs then rotated the control panel up. There are only 2 ways these units come apart (nearly all makes)

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

here are the pics

there are two screws on each side, which I cannot access, mabe with the pics you find the model. Thanks

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry the pictures did not come in on my end again.

The screws on each side are likely the ones that need to be accessed, You would do this by pulling the unit away from the wall until the screws are accessible.

I am currently trying to find some pictures.

If I find something I will post back.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it doesn't work with the paperclip, it ask for URL, etc but my pics are jpg. I browse, find them and click ok. Is there another way?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
If you hit browse then hit browse on the window that opens, Once you have chosen the picture hit ok on the second window, wait a second then hit insert on the first window, wait a minute for the picture to upload then hit reply.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok Andreas, I don't recognize this model, I will re list your question, hopefully someone will recognize it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Great, Mike. I will wait for your response

Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 10 months ago.
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today.Are you still needing help on your repair..?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes, Mike doesn't know this model. Do you?

To access the clock..First pull all of the knobs directly off....You will see two screws under each knob..Remove the screws...Next..if you look up under the complete front panel..there will be 4 screws along the bottom..Remove those screws...Next remove the two screws at each side of the control panel..There are also 4 screws along the back of the control panel which hold it in place...Removing the screws under the knobs will allow you to remove the panel and the buttons to the clock.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I know now the Model which is: CARDS 800E

I removed all screws you mentioned above except the ones under each knob (since the technician didn't do it either).

The problem is the back screw of the end caps on each side of the control panel, which I cannot access. This is #2 & #3 at following link:

http://www.partselect.ca/Models/CARDS800E/Sections/Page-4/?ModelID=43349&ModelNum=CARDS800E&mfgModelNum=P1131922N%20E&ManufactureID=1&Selected=15512&Position=5&mfg=Maytag&Type=&Mark=5

According to the technician the bracket #13 is broken on one corner and he used tie-rap to fix it, which probably melted by the heat

The screws under the knobs are just to remove the buttons...That complete assembly comes off away from the cabinet with the end caps attached..Once the control is completely removed you can access the end caps..Look at your picture you sent..On the left side..Just past the end cap..You will see two screws..Remove those screws on each side..Also along the back on the burner side of the panel there are screws.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for my late reply, I tried to figure it out.

I did remove these screws (I attach the pic). On the back on the burner side there are no screws (just one on the side (see pic).

It seems that the back screw of the end cap is holding it in, but I can't get there.

If im not mistaken there is also a set of screws under two of the knobs which hold the panel to the front..Might be the two inner knobs..Stand by.Thanks Bob

There are only two ways you will be able to get to the screw in question..That is by removing the trim piece on the outside edge..Or the trim piece running along the back of the controls..Pull the unit out there should be screws at the back side area to remove the trim piece in which you removed the two screws on the right side of the oven..Removing that trim will give you access to the screw on the end cap.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The technician removed the control panel without taking the oven all out. This oven has a ventilation pipe to the outside and is very difficult to remove. There must be another solution.

If that is the case..Then you need to remove the knobs..As there should be at least Two sets of screws that do hold the panel to the stove...Another option from looking at your pictures would be to remove the aluminum trim across the top of the panel where the panel meets the stove..Look on the backside for screws to remove it..This would give you access to the back screw on the side cover
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can remove the aluminum trim only if I get the end caps off. There are no screws in the back, it's just the frame trim.

I can wiggle a little bit the complete control section, so removing the two screws adjacent to the two middle Knobs won't do it, since I can't remove the top panel of the control unit without removing the end caps.

You removed the screws under along the door area..?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes

It seems like we have exhausted most options for you..I know you said the tech did not have to pull the unit out to access the screw...If you can pull the unit out..Remove the side trim..The part where you removed the two screws..Form your pictures it looks as if there will be two screws at the back..So that you can remove the trim itself..Let me know what you come up with..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We will try to find the technician who did it last time, he will remember and I will let you know. Is there a chance that I could get a credit for the enxt time I will use your service, since we didn't find a solution?

Let me know. Thanks,

Ok great..I will send this to refunds..Have a great day ..Thanks Bob
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! I have the service manual for this range and the instructions for control access are below. Let me know if you are able to get access, please.

graphic