Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

I have an LG LTC22350SS top freezer, bottom frig. The freezer

I have an LG LTC22350SS top freezer, bottom frig. The freezer appears to working fine but the lower refrigerator has gotten warm recently. Looks like there's some ice on the vents in the freezer portion located on the lower back wall.
I assume I need to melt the ice.

Anything.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 11 months ago.
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Sorry you are having this problem with your Refrigerator...The fridge does not have its own cooling system. It is cooled from the freezer, via freezer fan ..You are absolutely correct in removing the ice from the vents...The problem causing this is either a blocked defrost drain or a fault in the defrost circuit..Which could be the heater..The defrost thermostat Etc located behind the inside freezer back wall...First completely defrost the unit by unplugging over night with the doors open if possible..This will assure the drain is unblocked..If the unit frosts up again then this means the defrost circuit is faulty. Which then means you will have to test the components...Basically the fridge is not cooling due to no air flow over the evaporator coils within the back freezer wall.
Mike also make sure the fan in the freezer is working...Please remember to rate my answer to you at "OK' or better before leaving today so that i may be credited through the system..If you have any further questions ..i will be standing by..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

A couple followup questions.

I emptied the refrigerator and the freezer. Both doors have been open 2-3 hours. I took a hair dryer and melted any remaining visible ice in the freezer air vents at the bottom of the back wall.

I do hear noise so I am assuming the fan is running.

Do you still think I should remove everything for overnight? I'm thinking just leave it alone till morning and see what's happening?

I have a refrigerator thermometer. What temps should I see?

Assuming none of the above works, how much trouble is it to remove the freezer back wall with the ice maker? I'm thinking if I get to that point, I'd need parts, etc. and probably call for service.

I would say it would be safe to leave it unplugged til morning..Behind the freezer wall are the evaporator coils which are about 2.5 inches thick..Once they become covered in ice it will take awhile to defrost..The drain is only about the size of a dime..It will take quite a bit to unthaw as the area is very small..Basically 2-3 hours will remove the frost from the vents..You should see from 44-45 in the fridge..0-2 in the freezer..Only other way to clear the drain and be sure of ,is to remove the back wall and thaw with a hairdryer and warm water.The back wall snaps in and out of place Its removing the ice maker etc.that can take some time.
Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair