Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a maytag side by side (model msd2651hew) and it makes

I have a maytag side by side (model msd2651hew) and it makes a buzzing then clicking noise every so often, sometimes more often then other times. checked and cleaned the coils and around the fan. sounds to me like some sort of a relay trying to "function" but unable to. any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So that buzzing and clicking is the key to your problems. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if the issue is with the compressor wouldn't that affect the ability of the refrigerator to cool? the refer/freezer, ice maker and water dispenser all appear to be working properly

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not exactly. The refrigerator steals air from the freezer. So as long as the freezer is below 38 degrees, the refrigerator will not be affected at all. Once the temperature in the freezer gets over 38 degrees, the refrigerator will begin warming up as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand that, however the buzzing and clicking noise has been going on for a week or better now with no adverse effects to the refer/freezer, water disperser or ice maker. the sound it is making, which is not constant, makes me nervous in regards XXXXX XXXXX possible fire hazard

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, so turn your icemaker off in case the icemaker is making the noise. If the noise continues to stay around---it's your compressor overloading. It sounds like the issue isn't constant but occurs sporadically since you're the refrigerator/freezer are not getting warm yet. That doesn't mean that they won't. If the noise is coming from the back at your compressor---everything I said is correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I turned the ice maker off a few days back to try and eliminate that as a possible cause. Guess I will perform the initial procedure you recommended and see what happens. thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, so if it still makes the noise with the icemaker being turned off, then you know for sure that my advice is correct.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.