Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

Hi there. Ive got a front-loading Samsung washing machine

Customer Question

Hi there. I've got a front-loading Samsung washing machine that won't drain water. It wouldn't spin, but once we drained the water (out of that front drain), it started up. We checked the big rubber hose (the short one) under the drum and it's clear. We snaked the long gray tube that goes to the drain in the wall (it was quite disgusting), but still nothing comes out of the gray tube when we try to make it drain (by doing rinse/spin...then going to spin only once there's water in there). There's an electric buzz, so I'm wondering if the pump is jacked. Thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 1 year ago.

Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Sorry you are having this problem..From what you are explaining it does sound like the drain pump is faulty..Either that or you have something caught up in the pump..Is the tub full of water at this point..?

Experience: 23 Years Major Appliance Repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The tub is drained (through the front drain)...which is when it started spinning. When I took off the thick black hose on the bottom of the drain, it still wouldn't spin (guess there was still too much water in there). Is there a way to check to see if the pump is caught on something? We snaked the gray hose as far as it would go...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oops...thought it wanted me to rate you for every reply. Did you get my reply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you still there?

Yes..You would need to remove the drain hose at the drain pump..What happens is ..The pump could be working somewhat..But when there is more water in the tub the water pressure becomes to much for the pump to drain the water out of the tub..Basically the pump is to weak to drain the water...If it drained some then most likely there is nothing stuck in the pump..You did say you heard a buzzing sound..Most likely this is from the pump itself..Fill the tub with water..Set the washer to drain and spin..Then when you hear the buzzing..Feel the motor of the pump..This will tell you the pump is the problem..To check for blockage..With the tub full of water..Remove the washers drain hose from the homes drain..Set it low to the ground in a bucket..If it drain water without the washer running..Then this means you do not have a blockage..Also please remember to rate my answer to you at "OK" ore greater so that i may be credited through the system..If you have any further questions i will be standing by..Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. So we pulled off the gray hose (connected near that front drain) and checked for blockage (none). We filled it back up and tried to spin (so that it would drain). Pump is humming and vibrating, but not a bit of water is coming through the hose.

Thoughts?

Ok Great this means the pump needs to be replaced..To remove the water take the gray hose lay it down in a bucket..If you have a shop vac..You can remove the water by putting the vac on the end of the gray hose which leads to the homes drain and remove the water..Change the pump out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much. Last thing. I'm having a problem finding the exact part. It's Model #WF218ANW/XAA. I'm finding a "drain pump" (small little thing with a power supply input) and a "drain pump assembly"...which has A LOT of stuff. Is that what I should buy?

The pump: http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-DC31-00054A.aspx?model=

The pump assembly: http://www.samsungparts.com/Products/Parts_and_Accessories/PID-DC96-01700A.aspx?model=

Thanks again for your help.

You can just replace the motor but most of the time its best to replace the complete assembly so that you do not have to deal with a leaking problem..Cracked housing Etc...CLICK HERE FOR PART