Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Model GSH25KGMC WW Freezer thawing out contents but still

Model GSH25KGMC WW
Freezer thawing out contents but still making ice, ice in bin not melting. Front panels around doors getting extremely hot. Removed back cover could not see condenser fan come on. Cleaned condenser and replaced condenser fan motor with new one. Unit has now run 30 minutes with condenser at 155 degrees and condenser fan still not coming on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the problem is that your condenser fan isn't running. That makes your compressor overheat. In the mean time, you can put a fan on the compressor in the back to cool the compressor down and then the unit will work again. But you need to test power to the fan motor and see if you're getting 120 volts. if not, replace the control board behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel. if you are getting 120 volts, you need to replace the condenser fan motor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for response, motor is 11.3 vdc and evidently multispeed there is three wires to supply. Red has 13vdc coming to motor and yellow and white wires show no voltage and do not Read resistance to ground. Just installed new motor one hour ago and still not running

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK sorry, you are correct, this is a DC motor for some reason it didn't show the step down on the wiring diagram. Either way, that control board at the back of your refrigerator behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel is the part you need to replace to get the condenser fan motor working if you only have 13 volts on one wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wish I could find a schematic..none on frig...so with the 13vdc being supplied is the control board m

aking the ground to fan motor, because I can't find any continuity to motor from ground.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The motor itself is not grounded. The white wire provides the neutral going to the motor while the yellow and red supply 13 volts when it's running properly. Also, sometimes you'll get a bad reading saying that it's really getting power when its not if you test power without the motor plugged in so that the power has a load connected to it.

Either way, at this point it doesn't matter. You've replaced the fan so why would you suspect 2 fans having the same problem? The only part left is the control board so you know you need to replace the control board.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help..just taking a stab in the dark before spending the money for control board... thanks again

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem and I do wish you only the best. If you need anything else, just let me know.