Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Microwave element of the Kenmore Elite 66463500 appear to work

Customer Question

Microwave element of the Kenmore Elite 66463500 appear to work but, fan and turntable do not come on.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. do you have a volt meter and are you able to test for voltage to the turntable motor ? Turntable Motor 6549W1S017A     Main Product View this is underneath and if you take the screws out around the bottom it will hinge down. you will see the turntable motor, it should be getting 120 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Looks like the microwave does not come on either. Data can be entered and timer cycles but nothig functions on the unit.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh that's different. check your door switches, Micro Switch 3B73362F Main Product View heres a video on how to test them. VIDEO open the control panel and they are on the left side where the door shuts, there are 3 so check them all.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could it be anything other tna the microswitch? Note that the timer does count down.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Well of course it could be something different but in my experience with these its usually the micro door switch that's bad, they are safety's and don't allow the microwave to start unless the door is shut tight but if one fails the clock will count down but it wont run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The door switches are fuctioning normally. There is a clicking sound on the main board when the microwave is in the 'start' function to cook.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay I just received your reply. give me a few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the unit open and will begen testing components according to the test sheet I located in the unit.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay the clicking is from this board correct ?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. The mother board is clicking. That's my problem? New board needed? (That's an easy fix if it is.)

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

if the board is clicking and the microwave is not starting it sounds like the relay on the control board is bad. which means the control would need to replaced . heres a link to order it control. Control board its around $62.00. if the relay is fried its not sending the power to start this. as long as your sure the door switches were okay that's what I would do, change the control board. its not that tough, they plug in and there is usually just 4 screws holding it in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Everything else tested within limits. Thanks for the help. I will order the part.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay have a great weekend ! Bryan