Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

chest freezer not working

chest freezer not working
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So if the unit has been plugged in for an hour or more, touch the compressor by hand and is it blazing hot where you can not hold your hand on it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is very very warm - but I can leave my hand on it.

OK so listen to it closely for about 5 minutes. Do you hear the compressor turning on and clicking off ever few minutes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is low humming noise like it is on - but it does not seem to shut on and off.

OK so that is a problem. It means that the compressor isn't overloading which means you either have a freon leak or a restriction. Sometimes moving the appliance can cause it to shake around and either move refrigeration oil into the lines clogging up the heat exchanger, or a freon leak can develop. Either way, the repair would be $350+ and it's not something you can fix yourself because you need a lot of specialty tools and a license. It probably isn't worth repairing, but that's for you to decide I suppose.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - your answer is what we sort of figured.

I'm really sorry. I wish I had better new for you today.