Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

My Whirlpool refrigerator is "knocking". It is staying cold.

My Whirlpool refrigerator is "knocking". It is staying cold. What could be the problem?
Hello..It is my Pleasure To Be Working With You Today...Sorry you are having a problem with your fridge today..Most common problem when you hear knocking is the compressor failing..This will normally happen when the compressor starts or shuts off..There are electrical windings inside the compressor..Which are welded to the outer shell of the compressor body from the inside..The weld breaks and this is where the knocking sound comes from..Basically the innards moving around within the compressor..There is no other fix than replacing the compressor..If the unit is working properly then run it until it no longer runs..I have seen compressors work for a few years but still knock..Also please remember to rate my answer to you at "OK" or greater before leaving today so that i maybe credited through the system..If you have any further questions i will be standing by..Thank You Bob
Karen a quick check is to go around back..Remove the lower panel..Locate the compressor (Black Round Tank)...Unplug the fridge..Then plug back in..You will hear the knock at this point once the compressor restarts....The sound will be coming from the back lower corner of the fridge..Thanks Bob